THE long-closed Otterington station on the East Coast Main Line between Thirsk and Northallerton has been surprisingly Grade II-listed by Historic England, writes Richard Horner.
The main station building, signalbox, weighbridge office and associated features are all covered by the listing.
The original station, opened on March 31, 1841, was demolished and replaced in 1932/33 by the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER) when the main lines between York and Darlington were quadrupled as part of a modernisation scheme.
At the same time, a new signalbox (to a LNER Type 12 design) was built to control the then state-of-the-art colour light signalling along a four-and-a-half mile stretch of this section of the ECML.
Read more in the February 2019 issue of The RM – on sale now!
Enjoy more of The Railway Magazine reading every month. Click here to subscribe.