FORMER Blackpool Corporation ‘Standard’ car No. 143 was expected to be launched
into traffic in Blackpool on September 23 following a complete restoration by Blackpool Transport at Rigby Road depot.
The 1924-built open-top balcony car has been owned by the Fylde Transport Trust (FTT) since 2002, and is on a 25-year loan to Blackpool Transport to work Heritage Tram Tours services.
Amazingly, it had previously not carried passengers since 1957, when it was withdrawn and converted to an engineering car. It was renumbered as No. 3 (latterly No. 753) and fitted with a diesel engine so it could run independently from the overhead wires, if required. It remained in this role until damaged by an engine fire in 1990.
Read more in the October 2019 issue of The RM – on sale now!
Enjoy more of The Railway Magazine reading every month. Click here to subscribe.